What are the core values and counseling distinctives of IBCC?
1. Biblical wisdom versus leaning on our own understanding.
- We use Scripture in our counseling as the basis for daily living and as the foundation for all wise choices we make in life.
“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.” (Proverbs 3:5)
2. Personal identity in “Christ-esteem” versus “Self-esteem”.
- We help our clients to understand their identity in Christ.
“As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him: Rooted and built up in Him , and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” (Colossians 2:6-8)
3. Heart transformation versus intellectual knowledge.
- We look to God in transforming our clients’ lives through His Holy Spirit and revealing the truth of God’s Word.
“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16)
4. Resolution of “root” issues versus behavioral change only.
- Our clients are led through a process that helps them get to the root of their spiritual and emotional problems.
“Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.” (Proverbs 4:23)
5. Reconciliation of relationships with family and others versus a “victim” mentality.
- Our counseling encourages our clients in true Biblical forgiveness.
“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, Who hath reconciled us to Himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.” (2 Corinthians 5:17-20)
6. Spiritual Warfare Worldview
- We include the possibility of Satan’s deceptions impacting our client’s lives.
“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” (Ephesians 6:12)